Application Guidelines (PhD, MSc)
Students interested in pursuing Postgraduate studies in the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology should do the following:
- Identify whom you would like to have as a supervisor of your postgraduate studies by looking up the individual research profiles of each of our academic staff members. Staff members will often advertise potential graduate research projects on their web sites
- Email the academic concerned with a copy of your CV and academic record, and names of three referees. Express an interest in their research area, and ask the academic if they would be prepared to offer you a graduate research project.
Once supported by the host department, a formal application will have to be submitted online at http://www.students.uct.ac.za/students/applications/apply/forms.
In addition to meeting the minimum entrance requirements, the following information will need to be provided:
- a curriculum vitae which includes personal details, academic history and work experience;
- an official transcript of university results (non-UCT students only);
- in the case of an application for the PhD, a summary of the Master’s research undertaken with and any publications which have arisen from this;
- names and contact details (including e-mail addresses) of two referees who are familiar the candidate’s recent academic studies;
- a brief outline of the area of interest for research;
- the names of UCT staff members who may have agreed to serve as supervisor/s for the research;
- proof of English language proficiency, where English is not the applicant’s home language.